Sunday, January 07, 2007

Get a Wok




I love my Wok. I use it for everything, even to cook food that was never intended for Wokery, like popcorn and fudge. Mine is the
Lodge cast iron kind, so I even bake in it. Not fine pastry of course, but anything else that goes in the oven. It may not be the best for that purpose, but its good enough for me, and it means that I don't have to keep a kitchen full of useless pots and pans.

For the minimalist there is nothing better than the Wok. It uses one small burner and concentrates heat effectively and evenly. Wok's are easy to care for, mostly you rinse it with water and wipe it with some oil. Its versatility negates the need to keep an assortment of frying pans, sauce pans, steamers, roasting pans, fish poachers, quesadilla makers, and so on, because it does all those things, and stuff you never even thought of. One glance under the cupboard, at that precarious balancing act of noisy pots would convince anyone to get take out instead.

So, get rid of all that other stuff, and get yourself a Wok.